Permit FAQ

*All permit applications and checklists for permit application submittal must be complete.*

When installing any of the following: 

  • Temporary signs less than 32 square feet in area and less than 6 feet high.
  • Pre-manufactured accessory buildings (e.g., tool shed) with an area of 100 square feet or less.
  • Fences on single-family lots up to 6 feet tall, not including pool barriers or screening for rooftop equipment.
  • Banners and fabric signs. 
  • Sign face replacements (without structural or electric changes to sign).
  • Chickee huts.


No. If over $2500, application must be signed, notarized and a Notice of Commencement is required.

Building Official (Doug Wise) recommendation after his discussion with a Contractor: Please advise staff that, pursuant to FS713.135 the contractor may sign as owner (owner's agent) if they are a "duly authorized" to do so. As we discussed, a contract or other proof of authorization may be requested and submitted which documents that fact on projects of "significance". However if the value of the job is below $2500, I would not reject anything for lack of a contract or other proof of authorization, since the law does not even require a written contract at that amount of work. In that case, just ensure the contractor signs on both lines (owner/agent and contractor) and ensure it is notarized. If the contractor is actually not the owner's "authorized agent", they are effectively committing fraud in the application process on permits below $2500 and that would invalidate the permit (and our responsibility) anyways. Above $2500 they must get the owner's signature notarized anyway for the NOC, so it is not quite as big a deal for our customers. Note: there is an "exception" to almost every rule: It is always a very good idea to scrutinize the ownership carefully and ensure that the owner of record has authorized the demolition of any structure, except when you are processing City initiated demolitions (an exception to the exception!).

Yes, however it must be an actual trust, not John Doe Trust, LLC . Corporations, LPs, LLCs, are not able to utilize the "owner builder" exemption. Further, pursuant to FS489.103(7) in order to utilize this exemption to licensing, the owner must personally appear and sign the permit application at our counter at some point prior to permit issuance (not necessarily at submittal). NO POWERS OF

Is homestead exemption required for O/B permit?
No, but needs to provide proof of ownership if PAPA not current. (Deed, closing papers….). Due to the recent trends (forclosures and short-sales) in the real estate market, PAPA is significantly behind reality in property ownership records. Remember, it is not our  FAQ’S on PERMIT INTAKE duty to enforce property "ownership" only permitting regulations. If an owner can produce any reasonable documentation to demonstrate they have recently purchased the building, they may obtain an owner builder permit. Our sole responsibility is to ensure the name of the owner on the permit application matches the name of the owner on the Notice of Commencement (if required). It is not our responsibility to ensure the name of the owner matches PAPA or our prior computer records. However, that being said, we should excercise caution before changing the name of the owner on our computer records and request some "reasonable" form of proof to establish ownership. What is reasonable depends upon the nature of the project itself.

Yes, but some type of security should be verified. (Example: Ask the person picking up the permit who the qualifier for the company is, mailing address, business phone number), and input a misc note of the person’s name that picked up the permit. An original receipt for fees paid may also work as suitable proof that someone is authorized to pick up a permit.

An updated (with in last 2 years) survey is required when a permit application shows change to the footprint of the main structures on the parcel or property or line, depending on whether or not the change in footprint extends beyond the "limits" of the existing building footprint. Older surveys and plot plans can be accepted for fence, irrigation, and exterior permits which do not extend the building footprint into proximity with the building setbacks or property lines.

Clarifications: Survey- Sealed legal documentation showing property lines and existing or proposed structures on a parcel, from a professional land surveyor. May be a "boundary" survey (no improvements shown), an "as-built" survey (existing improvements shown), or "metes and bounds" survey (a legal narrative describing parcel with no drawings).

Site Plan - A similar "plan view" of a parcel showing structures and property boundaries, which may be sealed by an Architect or an Engineer but is not prepared by a Surveyor. Typically this document must be accompanied by a "boundary" or "metes and bounds" survey from a Surveyor. Form Board or Tie in Survey: Updated survey once construction project (permit) changing the footprint of the parcel is underway and submitted to the field inspector for the City records.

Final Survey: Provided to the field inspector at the time of final inspection, showing all improvements existing and constructed on the subject site.

No. If subs are not signed on at initial submittal, the subcontractor must submit their own stand alone sub-permit application. (attached). Since sub-permits do not submit or pick up plans (they are associated with the master plan), we can reasonably accept an application without the "consent" of the prime contractor. However, if the prime contractor expresses concern that someone other than an "authorized" sub-contractor (perhaps someone retained by the owner) has obtained a permit on their project we can "revoke" permit upon written notarized notice from either the owner or the prime contractor.