A0023 – Andrews House Collection


A0023 – Andrews House Collection

 

DESCRIPTIVE SUMMARY

Date span: 1912-1956
Physical description: .25 linear ft. (1 box), painting
Language note:  English

ADMINISTRATIVE INFORMATION

Restriction on access: The collection is available for supervised use by appointment during normal Boynton Beach City Library hours. Users are required to comply with the library’s regulations governing use.

Terms governing use and reproduction: Materials in the collections are to be used for private study, scholarship, or research in accord with the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code). The Boynton Beach City Library adheres to all conditions specified in the law when providing reproductions of copyrighted material. Any use of a reproduction in excess of “fair use," may result in the user’s liability for copyright infringement.

Additional physical form available: Photographs digitized and available online.

Acquisition information: Materials from inside the Andrews House (306 SE First Avenue, Boynton Beach Florida) which was owned and donated by Frances D’Almeida (2022.016). The archivist was invited to collect material from the property on 4/21/2022.

Custodial history: Material was in the house on 4/22/2022, unknown provenance.

Preferred Citation: From the collections of the Boynton Beach City Library Local History Archives, Andrews House Collection (A0023), box and folder numbers or item numbers.

Processing Information: Collection processed and finding aid created in July 2022 by Georgen Charnes.

COLLECTION DESCRIPTION

Historical Note:  The house at 306 SE First Avenue, Boynton Beach (Block 8, lots 3 & 4) referred to as the Edith Andrews House, is a frame vernacular built between 1901 and 1909 by Bert L. Kapp. The land (Block 11, lots 4, 5, 6) was purchased by Kapp from Birdie and Fred Dewey in either 1901 or 1909. It operated as a guest house as early as 1913. Kapp sold the property to Mrs. Alice Fields of Georgia in May 1924, then it was purchased by Katie Gager Andrews (1887-1971) in July 1925 and continued as a guest house. The house was deeded from her son, Charles Lee Andrews (1912-1991) to Katie Andrews’ other son, George Kermit Andrews (1916-1993) in 1972, and to George’s widow Edith Burns Andrews (1916-2003) at his death in 1993, and finally purchased in March 1998 by Robert Katz. The house was renovated in 1998-2000. Miami-based movers Russell Building Movers propped up the 25,000 ton house and lowered it onto a new concrete foundation 40 feet east from the original location in May 1998. Contractors John Dority and O’Shea stripped the walls to the framing, sandblasted the paint off, used salvaged Dade Pine (now extinct) when necessary. Jim Warnke as consultant took photos, including those from a helicopter during the move. The house opened as a pioneer museum in c. 2000. It held history essay contests for elementary school students in 1998 and 2001. Sometime after this, the property stopped being maintained. It was sold to the D’Almeidas, who then sold the property in 2022.

Scope and Content Note: Chiefly includes several sets of property papers; none of these papers are for the Andrews House property, which is Block 8, lots 3 & 4. Includes Abstracts of Titles for two Boynton Beach properties and one Delray Beach Property, and a Warranty Deed for another property inherited by Katie Andrews. Also a spiral bound booklet of Civil War Pension file for Katie Andrews’ husband, Charles L. Andrews (1847–1922), who served under the name Benjamin F. Green. Photographs and the painting were used as decorations in the Andrews house museum and are not family related items.

CONTENTS

Box 1

  • Folder 1: Katie Andrews Civil War Pension Claim. Florida State Archives File number A10403, July 2011. Spiral bound photocopies.
  • Folder 2: 1915 Warranty Deed from heirs of Nathan Boynton (A.E. Parker and Annie Parker; Annie Boynton; Charles  L. Boynton and Gertrude Boynton; J.D. Patterson and Frances Patterson; H.H. Wright and Edith Wright; George H. Boynton and Mary Ten Eyck Boynton) to Katie Andrews for property at Boynton Beach, Block 8, lots 1 & 2.
  • Folder 3: 1938 Abstract of Title for Delray Beach Block 70, lots 20 & 21. East half of the NW & SW quarters of Section 16, Township 46 South, Range 43 East.
  • Folder 4: 1954 Abstract of Title for Boynton Beach Block 7, lots 6 & 7. NE quarter of the NE quarter of Section 28 and NW quarter of the NW quarter of Section 27, Township 45 South, Range 43 East. Original and photocopy. Available online. Folder 5: 1956 Abstract of Title for Boynton Beach Block 7, lots 8, 9, &10. NE quarter of the NE quarter of Section 28 and NW quarter of the NW quarter of Section 27, Township 45 South, Range 43 East.
  • Folder 6: Photographs:
    •  A0023-001 Fish caught on the boat Half Pint, c. 1955
    •  A0023-002 Fishing trip catch, c. 1950
    •  A0023-003 Fishing trip catch, 1912
    •  A0023-004 Boynton Beach Police Force, 1956

Painting of Nathan Boynton
Nathan Boynton23.5” x 29.5” gold frame.

No artist signature.

Probably a copy of a painting by S.J. Gibbons 1995, which was a copy of a part of a photograph taken in about 1900. Sticker on top “#93”

 

   Boynton family, c. 1900  nathan boynton